Vermiculite Removal From Your Pool And Pond
Professional vermiculite removal services help Toronto property owners safely eliminate the threat of asbestos exposure and contamination. The natural mineral (vermiculite) was used to control moisture in many home products including roofing insulation, gardening items and the base of pools and ponds. The possibility of asbestos content, a known carcinogen, however, made it a health hazard.
If your pool or pond has a vermiculite base, it may have to be removed. Here are the typical steps for vermiculite removal. We would not recommend that you attempt these yourself on account of the high risk of asbestos exposure.
How vermiculite removal is handled:
- Identify a dumping site that will accept the vermiculite debris; this may involve paying a dumping fee. Your municipal office may be able to help with this information.
- Remove the layers of the pool/pond above the vermiculite i.e. the pool base and vinyl layer. Use the method recommended for your kind of pool. If you are not experienced or comfortable doing this, hire a contractor.
- Clear the debris of the pool base. Make sure you are wearing the appropriate protective gear to prevent any risk of exposure to asbestos. Recommended gear includes a cap, goggles, dust mask, long sleeves, work gloves, long pants, socks, and close-toed shoes.
- Gently wet the vermiculite to prevent the asbestos fibres from becoming airborne.
- Ensure proper disposal of the vermiculite debris. Shovel the vermiculite debris into a bag which can be properly sealed. Double bag the sealed bag and seal again. Label vermiculite and take it to your local hazardous waste disposal site.
It is preferable to hire experienced vermiculite removal professionals rather than put your health on the line. When disturbed asbestos fibres are released in the air, they can get breathed in and remain in your lungs for a very long time. This may put you at risk for many serious ailments including asbestosis, mesothelioma and other forms of cancer.
Asbestos Environmental Of Canada (AEOC) offers proven vermiculite removal services for Toronto homes and businesses. Certified asbestos inspectors will conduct a test to confirm the presence and extent of asbestos which forms the basis of your vermiculite removal plan. Trained technicians will then safely remove the pool or pond base to prevent disturbing asbestos fibres. We will help deal with your problem the right way.
For safe and effective vermiculite removal in Toronto, call the Asbestos Environmental Of Canada at 416-985-5025 today.